Monday, October 19, 2009

My willingness to lie

This is my list of 12 steps that increase to some major indiscretion:
1. Designing a package to look bigger on the shelf
2. Designing an ad for a slow, boring film to make it seem a light-hearted comedy.
3. Designing a crest for a new vineyard to suggest that it has been in business for a long time.
4. Designing a package for children whose contents you know are low in nutrition value and high in sugar content.
5. Designing a jacket for a book whose sexual content you find personally repellent.
6. Designing an advertising campaign for a company with a history of known discrimination in minority hiring.
7. Designing a promotion for a diet product that i know doesn't work.
8.Designing a medal using steel from the World Trade Centre to be sold as a profit-making souvenir of september 11.
9. Designing a brochure for an SUV that turned over frequently in emergency conditions and was known to have killed 150 people.
10. Designing a line of T-shirts for a manufacturer that employs child labor.
11. Designing an ad for a political candidate whose policies i believe would be harmful to the general public.
12. Designing ad for a product whose frequent use could result in the user's death.


* The reason i think "Designing an ad for a political candidate whose policies i believe would be harmful to the general public" should be # 11 on my list is for multiple reasons. To begin with, in harming the public I would obviously harm myself, not to mention my friends and family. I would be responsible for harming possibly an entire generation and maybe even future generations, I could never live with that kind of guilt or face the consequences. In addition, if I don't believe in that candidate, by designing that ad I would be a complete hypocrite and that's not something I want to be known for. As a designer I have a goal of changing the world for a better place through my designs and that ad would steer me in the opposite direction of that road. Also as a designer, I don't want to be known for designing misleading ads, I would loose clients that way because people will loose trust in me and wont believe in anything I'm trying to sell with my designs.Paul Arden said in his book ( It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be) that if you are involved in something that goes wrong, never blame others. Blame no one but yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment